Thursday, February 15, 2007

WEIGHT TRAINING


Last week, Shalane Flanagan broke the 5k record at the US championships. She said the one thing that she changed since college was her strength and training workouts. She got a coach and started knowing changes in her times dramatically. So of course once our coach found out about this, weight training was on the top of our list. Every Tuesday and Thursday we go to the gym at 9:30. Ugggh! Sometimes I hate it. I do not understand why we have to lift weights if we our cross country runners. I do not want to look like a discus thrower when I step onto that line. Some of the exercises that we do, I do agree with. The fab 5 and the triple threat are all ab workouts and I love a good six pack. But with weight training your body hurts the next day. So if I go on Tuesday to lift, I am sore on Wednesday, then we lift on Thursday, then again, I am sore on Friday. And I swere are weight coach has no clue about running, he is an ultimate fighter. But I guess are coach will not quit on this weight trainging program, since last week, five of my teammates broke school records at the Boston Invitational. The team has conference in two weeks, so we will see how good everybody really progressed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Man, do I feel stupid asking this but........... I am 41 and obviously never been much into health. What

exactly is weight training..how should one start....what amount of time should one put in it?
I found an interesting website that teaches weight training. It’s pretty basic. Check it out. It’s from

href="http://www.nobullcollection.com/
">weight training